The Q&A Archives: Growing Pentas From Seed

Question: I am having a lot of difficulty starting pentas from seed. I have one seedling out of 25 seeds still alive. They germinate and then die right away. I don't think damping off isn't the problem, either. Perhaps I'm not giving them proper conditions. Can you advise?

Answer: I can only guess that you're not providing the heat and light your penta seedlings require. The seeds can be difficult to germinate, but once up should thrive in 70F-75F temperatures and 12-14 hours of light each day. I sow my penta seeds in pure peat moss, placing the seeds just on the surface of the moistened peat. Then I cover the pots with plastic wrap to help hold in moisture. As soon as the seedlings emerge, I remove the plastic (to avoid damping off) and place the pots under fluorescent lights. The light source is only 4 inches above the tops of the plants and the I keep the room reasonably warm. Try my method and see how it works for you!