The Q&A Archives: Pruning Mums In Spring

Question: I planted mums last fall. I picked off dead blooms before winter. Once the stems died I pruned them (February). Now this spring (April-May) they are really really growing and seem to be taking over my area. I want to plant spring/summer flowers but have no room due to the mums. Can I prune them back and still have them grow and bloom this fall?(September/October)

Answer: Healthy mums are "good spreaders" as you are seeing. They can be divided in early spring to control size and spread, and the new plants are healthier if the old woody centers are discarded and the new plants are started from the more vigorous outer edges. They should also be pinched back or lightly sheared about every ten days from now until mid July. This will keep them bushy and dense and as a result help produce more blooms in the fall.