The Q&A Archives: Black Spots On Tomatoes

Question: I have 20 tomato plants in my garden. Half of them are in buckets, and half are in the ground. I have had one of each develop black spots on the the leaves and a few spots on the stems. I pulled up one of the plants that was starting to die, but, the other I left planted. Is there anything I can do to stop the spread of this on the individual plants and the spread to other plants. I use Miracle Grow for tomatos once every other week and water everyday. I almost always water in the morning and rarely get too much water on the leaves. I've seen on some of the questions in the "library" about spraying with a compost mixture. I don't have access to compost. Is there anything I can do? I would really appreciate it if you could help me identify what is on my plants and how to combat it. Thanks...

Answer: Henry,

Those spots are either a fungal or bacterial disease. These are aggravated by frequent wetting. Since your tomatoes only need watering once or twice a week, I suggest you move toward that watering schedule.

As for the diseases, compost tea may help deter the disease from starting, but your County Extension Office (phone 912-462-5724) can probably recommend a more effective option since the disease already has a head start on your plants.

Thanks for the question. Please feel free to stop in again with another question any time we can help!