The Q&A Archives: Growing Perenials In Containers

Question: Last year I planted some hostas in ten inch containers and I placed them in front of a bigger container in which I planted false Mexican heather.
The hostas came back and I neglected them all winter -- they did get water when it rained. I am thinking about planting some gray color sedums in my larger containers and with some pink wax begonias around the sedums. Is this a good ideal or do you have another suggestion and will the sedums come back like the hostas did?

Answer: Hostas are extremely tough and cold hardy plants, as are the sedums, so it might work. However, it sould be better if you could insulate the roots somewhat each winter. You will also find that the plants will need to be repotted annually due to their increased size and growth. Both of these plants could be divided each spring and replanted into refreshed soil in the same pots. You could also set them temporarily into the ground each winter -- the best of both worlds.