The Q&A Archives: Seedling Stems And Leaf Veins Have A Reddish-purple Color

Question: My Blue Enchantment Convolvulus seedlings developed a reddish-purple color in the stem and leaf veins. It seems to have worsened as I've taken them outside to harden them off. Is it too much sun (they were under lights prior to outside) or nutrient deficiency (phosphorus)? If it's the latter what sort of fertilizer should I use to supply the right nutrients.

Answer: Phospohorus deficiency could be the reason, as could overly acid soil or overly cold soil. You might try giving it complete a water soluble fertilizer with a high middle number which would include phosphorus, and plant them in the ground as soon as they are ready. It is unusual to have an extreme phosphorus deficiency as long as you have been using a complete fertilizer, so I would suspect cool temperatures or other stress such as needing to be repotted.