The Q&A Archives: Deep Watering

Question: I don't have a rain gauge. How do I keep track of how much water I've applied to my vegetable garden, and what techniques do you suggest to make sure I'm watering deeply enough?

Answer: Mature vegetables should be watered to a depth of about 12 inches to moisten the entire root system. To determine the depth to which soil is moist, probe the soil with a sharp, pointed piece of wood or metal, or even a long-handled screwdriver. Insert it into the soil. It will move easily through moist soil and stop when it reaches dry soil. This is an easy method that works for landscape plants as well. Always water slowly and deeply to leach salts below the root zone. Just barely allow soil to dry between waterings. I hope this info helps!