The Q&A Archives: Bugs in my gardens

Question: Category: Pest Control

I have these bugs in a couple of my beds. They are grayish and oblong shaped. They have many legs so they aren't insects. The bigger ones I saw were about 1/4" long. And they seem to hate light. Can you discern what these are from my description? I've noticed them in other beds before but I saw them in my strawberry pot yesterday and they'd scurry as I moved the foliage around to see them. Are they harmless or should I get
rid of them?

Answer: Are you familiar with "Roly Poly" or "Pill" bugs? Do they roll up into little balls if you try to touch them? It's funny, if you've seen the movie "A Bug's Life" there were two of them in that movie, appropriately enough, named "Tuck" and "Roll". If that is what you have, and it sounds like it from the description, they are pretty much harmless. They feed mainly on decomposing matter, kind of like little composters.