The Q&A Archives: Tulip Flower Stems Wilting And Breaking

Question: My tulips have come up very well. The problem is a number of flowers are either drooping over or appear to be cut off. In both cases the problem is about 1/2 to 2/3 the way up the flower stem. On the stems that droop the stem is shriveled and the droop is in this area of the stem. I have cut several of these stems open but have not found any insects. The "cut" stems appear to have a clean cut all the way through the stem. In some cases the stem is completely cut and the flower is lying on the ground. In others the stem is still connected with the flower hanging down. It does not appear that an animal has eaten any of the leaves or flower stems. What could be causing these problems?

Answer: I am mystified. It almost sounds like a very small child may have picked (or tried to pick) them as a game. Deer will eat tulip flowers, but usually they neatly and efficiently munch them off. Perhaps with a little more detective work you will come up with the culprit. I'm really sorry I can't be more helpful.