The Q&A Archives: Recommend Flowers

Question: I have a problem. I have built an all glass sunroom (even the roof) on the north side of my house. I built raised planters on the west, north, and east sides of the room. The planters are filled with top soil.The east side gets several hours of direct sun, the north side gets filtered sun(through roof), and the west side gets direct sun all afternoon. Is there one kind of flower that would do well on all three sides?

Answer: Unfortunately, even a planting of all the same plant would probably not look identical because each section would grow differently due to the differences in light. You might find, for instance, that although coleus (with a "sun coleus variety" in the western planter) would grow in the planters, the lighting would make them grow at different rates. You might want to select three different plants, each one well suited to its own planter, but select them based on looking good together. You may also want to check that topsoil to make sure it has enough organic matter and that it drains well -- this can be problematic in a container-growing situation. Good luck with your project!