The Q&A Archives: Heirloom Tomatoes

Question: Years ago we had planted Ramapo tomatoes which were great for canning as well as eating, I have not been able to locate them for years. I was in Va this past week and was talking with a lady who knew all about tomatoes past and present she told me that a lot of the old seeds were starting to return-could you advise me of where to look?
The other tomato that we enjoyed(which we referred to as Latvia)was the Ox Heart tomato (identified by Rutgers Lab)

Answer: The heirloom tomatoes are certainly regaining popularity. Burpee (800-888-1447 or offers a selection of them each year in both the regular and heirloom catalog, as do Tomato Grower's Supply (888-478-7333 or ) and Totally Tomatoes (PO BOx 1626, Augusta GA 30903 or (803) 663-0016.) Not one of the three, however, seems to offer the two tomatoes you described, or at least not under those names. Perhaps you would be able to recognize them from the various catalog descriptions.