The Q&A Archives: Supporting my Wisteria tree

Question: Category: Trees

I have a Wisteria Tree, or at least that is what it was discribed to me. However, it does have long branches that appear to need a support system. What would be the best support for this tree that now is about 3 inches in diameter at the base and is 5'5" tall?

And how to control the ants that are eating the flowers?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answer: The ants aren't eating the flowers, the aphids are. Ants hang around with aphids and (this is gross) consume their sweet excrement called "honeydew". So what you need to control are the aphids. You can try insecticidal soap, or even a strong shot from the water hose. Most wisteria trees have a weeping form naturally, they don't need a support system. If your branches seem to be breaking, you can tie them to more sturdy branches with small pieces of nylon hose.