The Q&A Archives: Campanula Calicanthema

Question: Have you heard of a plant called campanula calicanthema (spelling?)? It is a spike of bluish purple cup-like flowers on about a three-foot stem. Where can I get some? My neighbor has a gorgeous one and the tag said it was the above mentioned name but we can't find any more anywhere. The flower looks like a large canterbury bell that is also a campanula.

Answer: I think you are looking at Campanula medium 'Calycanthema' also known as Canterbury Bells or Cup and Saucer. This is a delightful old fashioned biennial. If the flowers seem larger than ordinary, perhaps s/he has a well selected strain or is providing them with excellent growing conditions. Perhaps your neighbor would share some seeds or seedlings with you, or plants are available from Bluestone Perennials. is their website.