The Q&A Archives: Cow's Udder Plant

Question: I have a plant that I only know as "cows udder plant." I would like to know if the fruit it bears is edible and, if it is, do you eat it raw or cooked?

According to the following web page called "Curious Plants for Kids," the fruits of this plant are poisonous and should NOT be eaten.

From the above web page: "Cow's Udder (Solanum mammosum) grows over 1m (3') tall in most frost-free areas of Australia. It produces small white flowers, followed by fascinating orange or yellow waxy fruit resembling the udder of a cow. Although the Solanaceae contains food plants like the tomato and potato, it is a particularly poisonous plant group, so plants like cow's udder plant must not be eaten. Fruiting branches of cow's udder plant are very fashionable used in cut-flower arrangements, and are long lasting."

I found one source for this unusual plant: Flowery Branch Seed Company, Telephone 770-536-8380