The Q&A Archives: Lily Of The Valley

Question: Last year I planted some lily of the valley in a good soil in mostly shade, part sun. I was surprised that so many new shoots came up but none of them flowered! What am I doing wrong? Would appreciate any help you can give! Thanks

Answer: Moving plants requires them to spend energy in reestablishing themselves, so they may not enough left to bloom normally the first time around. This plant also likes a good moist soil and last year's dry weather may also have contributed. To help them build their strength, you might give them a bit of compost and/or a complete granular fertilizer this spring and make sure they are kept moist all summer and fall. They also prefer a location that is cool, so shade or morning sun or dappled light all day are the preferred locations over afternoon sun which is so hot.