The Q&A Archives: Peas Turn Yellow

Question: My peas are quite yellow! I have applied a dose of Miracid to attempt to green them up, but have had no luck. I am wondering if it is from the granulated Fertlizer (16-16-8) I used before planting the garden this year? Could that be the problem?

Answer: Unless your soil is extremely poor, peas require little if any extra fertilzer. What they do require, as with all legumes, is a soil inoculant before planting (see our soil booster on page 87 of our catalog). The soil inoculant is the bacteria that legume roots incorporate to make their own nitrogen. Also note that peas do suffer from root rots, especially in overly wet or poorly drained soils. Such rots will cause overall yellowing and stunting of the plants.