The Q&A Archives: Shrub Suggestions

Question: I need to plant a shrub along the fence in front of our schoolyard. I've noticed a shrub that grows along the freeway that has white flowers. What type of shrub is this, and would it be a good choice? Or can you suggest other shrubs that grow throughout the year in a partly shaded area, that also smell nice and are colorful?

Answer: The shrub most commonly planted along freeways in California is oleander. This is a relatively maintenance free shrub for hot, dry areas. It's not a good choice for near a playground, however, because touching the leaves can cause skin rashes in sensitive people.

Shrubs that grow well in partly shady conditions include escallonia, bottlebrush, ceanothus (California lilac), and buddleia.