The Q&A Archives: Control Of Squirrels

Question: Help! The squirrels in my yard are destroying my freshly planted young flowers. Help! What can I do to save my plants?

Answer: It's tough to deter these furry fellows. They seem to adapt to human strategies fairly well. I searched our database and found quite a few methods of pest control. Try to vary some of them over a period of time, which seems to help keep the animals at bay.

Use a commercially produced predator urine (Burpee Seeds offers some -; ph# 800/888-1447).

Cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it.

You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage squirrels from taking up residence in your yard.