The Q&A Archives: Splitting Leaves On Hostas

Question: I have hostas that look lush and healthy except that some of the leaves are split vertically in one or more spots, along the veins of the leaf. The plants are on the east side of the house, and are in shade most of the day, although some do get direct sun in the late morning for a short period. Is there anything I can do to prevent the splitting? It spoils the look of the plants. Thank you very much for your help!

Answer: Hosta foliage can be damaged by a number of things ranging from slugs to hail to frost to excessive wind; based on your description I would guess that the leaves may have suffered some frost damage early in the season that is just now becoming apparent or have been torn by a wind storm. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do once the damage has occurred except try to keep them growing vigorously and hope the new growth will overshadow the old.