The Q&A Archives: Poor Soil Quality

Question: My soil is very soft to the point of sinking when walked on.The grass is sparse and ant hills and undergroound bees nests are everywhere.What can I do?

Answer: Grass will grow best in a fertile soil that is evenly moist and yet well drained, and based on your description it sounds as though your soil may not be at all well drained. You might want to consult with your county extension (497-1611) about your soil and also about any possible underlying drainage problems that may exist. In and of themselves, ant hills are not necessarily a problem, and may not require any control. The same would be true for the bee nests, unless they are in an area where people or pets might be endangered. One way to control these is to cover the entry hole with an overturned bowl and leave that in place for several days. (Put the bowl on in the evening when the bees are inside.)