The Q&A Archives: What Is The Name...

Question: I saw a beautiful plant in a nieghbor's garden. I can't find it online. Could you help me identify the plant?
1. He called it 'cerenthi' (pronounciation spelling attempt)
2. He said it's self seeding and comes back every spring
3. It has deep plumb blue leaves that taper to a dark purple bell shaped flower -much like a small fucia's flower
4. It stands about 12" high, the stems bend with the weight of the bell shaped flower.
Thanks for your time.

Answer: Your guess was pretty close! I think the plant is Cerinthe, also known as Honeywort or Wax Flower. This plant is a member of the Borage family. Cerinthe purpurascens is a Mediterranean native, with fleshy blue-green leaves that spiral up the stem, transforming themselves into tighter packed sea blue bracts, eventually forming small clusters of rich purple/blue tubular, nodding flowers which are creamy white inside. Seeds of Cerinthe are available from Thompson & Morgan, Inc., PO Box 1308, Jackson, NJ 08527-0308. Phone (800) 274-7333.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"