The Q&A Archives: Strawberry Ripening

Question: My strawberries are red but not ripe or sweet. Pests eat them at this point. My question is;if i pick them at this point will they ripen and sweeten in the house?

Answer: You have asked a tricky question. While a fully garden ripened berry is preferable, strawberries can sometimes continue their ripening process to some extent after they have been picked. Wrapping the berry box in plastic wrap will help the process along, but they will never taste quite the same or as good. Most home garden varieties can be picked and held for only a day or two before losing quality, however, so the time you gain is not much. You might have better results by discouraging the pests and allowing the berries longer to ripen naturally.