The Q&A Archives: When do I plant bulbs?

Question: I have 16' of flower boxes and I want to plant tulips this year. When should I plant bulbs or is it too late? Also, we are moving from Chicago area to Allentown, PA by this May. I wanted to start growing some seeds in my current home so they will be ready to transplant in May. Is this a good idea? Seeds are so much less expensive than plants. Thanks! PS. I think you are located close to Allentown, do you have a nursery at your property or is it only corp. offices?

Answer: It's certainly too late to put in tulips for a spring show this year but if you'll wait until this fall, you're welcome to plant as many tulips (and daffodils and crocus and many others) as you want. I'm not sure that you want to grow through thetrouble of transporting seedlings from Chicago to Allentown, although I admire your determination. There are plenty of seeds that can be sown direct (no need to jump the gun) after May in Allentown. Yes, we do have an Outlet Store in Warminster, not quite 2 hours from Allentown. You're welcome to visit anytime.