The Q&A Archives: Sanvitalia Procumbens

Question: I am looking for Sanvitalia procumbens, common name, 'Creeping Zinnia'; either the orange or the yellow variety. This is not a zinnia at all, but is in the Aster family. I have had no luck here either with the seeds or plants. If anyone knows of a source, please let me know. I would prefer plants, however, I would give seeds a try at this point. They are a great little creeping plant that grows well, deadheads itself, fills hanging baskets, is drought tollerant and is brilliant in color. I can't understand why I can't find it.... Thanks, Rose

Answer: Thompson and Morgan ( ) offers seeds for the orange, while Johnny's Select Seeds ( ) offers it in yellow. Burpee ( ) offers both seeds and plants of the actual creeping zinnia (Zinnia angustifolia) in the same color range and in white, so this might be another option.