The Q&A Archives: Small Holes On Maple Tree

Question: I have noticed about 10 small holes (size of a regular nail head) on my Maple tree trunk. We recently had our home treated for termites and carpenter ants. I am afraid it is one of these pests. If so, is there anything I can do.

Also I have notices sawdust around the base of my Japanese maple. Could this also come from one of these pests? If so is there anything I can do.

I would appreciate any help.

Answer: Unfortunately, based on the description of the holes and sawdust, I am unable to make a definite identification of the cause of them. There are assorted borers and other insects that will occasionally make holes in trees, there are also birds that may do this in search of insects. You might want to consult with a professionally trained arborist and/or with your county extension (696-3500) about the trees. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.