The Q&A Archives: Dahliettas

Question: I have newly planted dahliettas which are doing fine. My question is this, after one bud opens, and stays that way for several days; it closed. Do I need to pinch off the bud or does it reopen? I don't know much about them but the are sure beautiful. Any info would be helpful. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Answer: These plants, a type of compact dahlia, are very prolific bloomers if kept watered and fertilized and deadheaded. When the bloom fades, remove it so that the plant does not try to set seed. This will also keep it looking tidier. Keep the soil evenly moist but not soaking wet, and use a water soluble fertilizer for flowering plants according to the label instructions. They prefer a partially sunny to sunny location and can be grown in a container or planted in the garden. The tuber can be dug and stored in the fall for replatning the following year.