The Q&A Archives: Sunflowers And Hedges

Question: Hi
Can you tell me if it is safe to plant sunflowers directly in behind my Sweetberry Honeysuckle shrubs as a windbreak? They are only about 2 ft high shrubs but they would still receive full sun with the sunflowers being on the far north side of them. My concern is all the allelopathic stuff I've read about sunflowers and their potential to be growth inhibitors. Is there merit to this or can I plant them where I want?

Answer: The allelopathy is primarily due to the seed hulls accumulating in location such as under a bird feeder. In my experience they should not hamper the shrubs as long as there is adequate soil moisture so that the roots are not in competition. You will want to make sure to leave the shrubs ample room to develop.