The Q&A Archives: Correct Name Of Plant Needed

Question: I am looking for the correct name for a yellow flower that was my Grandmothers. She called it buttercup but it doesn't match the ranucnculaceae family. It is blooming now. The plant has leaves at the ground and the flowers grow up and above the leaves. There is one small round yellow flower on the stem. The flowers have small petals. They are growing in a low partial shade area. The leaf shape resembles a delphinium leaf, I believe. I would like to find out the correct name so I could attempt to get more to plant in my garden. I have looked in many garden centers for a number of years but have not found anything similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There are 2 plants still blooming in the same site for the past 40 years. I am afraid to dig these up and lose these or afraid they may freeze out. Help!! Thank you very much.

Answer: Is it possible this is trollius? Trollius is also known as the Globe Flower. It's a
perennial plant, native to North America, growing from
6"-36" high. The plants are related to buttercups, and have a
similar appearance; lobed leaves and flowers held above the
foliage on single stems. Provide part sun to full shade, ample
water during the growing season, and deadhead regularly
for best performance. Once the plants are established they
do not like to be disturbed. Divide clumps carefully every
4-5 years in early spring or late autumn. Trollius is reliably
hardy in zones 3-7 and should grow in your area.