The Q&A Archives: Burpee Big Early Tomato

Question: Several years ago I purchased a tomato with an ID tag of "Burpee Big Early". I loved it! but I haven't been able to find it since, and nobody seems to know anything about it. If it is no longer available, do you have one that is similar? The "Big Early" was an acidy, meaty, very nice shaped tomato that was perfect for canning and for fresh eating. It was larger than "Early Girl", and almost as large as "Big Boy." Please help me if you can.

Answer: Everyone has a favorite tomato taste and texture, and I'll try to recommend tomatoes similar to what you've described. Brandywine is an old-fashioned variety with the attributes you're looking for. Delicious and Quarter Century might also fit the bill. You can order online at or phone toll-free (800) 888-1447 to place your seed order. Hope one of these is what you're looking for!