The Q&A Archives: Do You Sell Sunflower Plants?

Question: I have tried planting sunflower seeds outdoors with no luck. I have also tried starting seeds indoors and they got so big then fell over and the stems broke. Do you sell sunflower plants that are ready for planting or do you have any suggestions when I can find them?

Answer: Unfortunately, I a do not know of a place selling sunflower plants by mail. I susepct it is because they do grow so quickly and do not hold well in pots. For this same reason they are usually started in the garden where they are to grow. If you have been having bad luck it could be because you have tried too early when the soil was cold. Wait until all danger of frost has passed and the soil has warmed up a bit, then plant the seeds about half an inch deep and keep moist but not sopping wet until they germinate. you could also try germinating them in pots and then planting them almost immediately into the garden. Another possibility is that a booth at a farmer's market or spring garden fair might have some for sale.