The Q&A Archives: Flowers for Dried Arrangements

Question: I'd like to plant some flowers that I can cut and dry, then use to make wreaths, gifts, etc. What are some good choices for my area?

Answer: Many plants have flowerheads, seedpods, stems, or leaves that have potential for dried flower arrangements. The best dried flowers are the everlastings--flowers that open fairly stiff and papery to the touch and without much moisture content. Those include strawflower (Helichrysum), yarrow (Achillea), pearly everlasting (Anaphalis), wormwood (Artemisia), globe thistle (Echinops exalatus), sea holly (Eryngium), baby's breath (Gypsophila), lavender, oregano (Origanum laevigatum 'Herrenhausen') and sea lavender (Limonium). You can also experiment with ornamental grasses.