The Q&A Archives: Choke Cherry Does Not Produce Fruit

Question: I inadvertantly planted a choke cherry tree instead of a June berry tree to provide fruit for birds. The tree has grown exceeding well and flowers every year, but produces only a half a dozen berries.

Do I need another tree for cross pollination or is there something else lacking?

Answer: Choke cherry (Prunus virginiana) produces clusters of fruits at the ends of branches. If you haven't been pruning your shrub and inadvertantly removing next year's flowering wood, perhaps your plant just needs a bit more time to mature. Choke cherry does not require a pollinator. Watch for flower clusters next spring and you'll be able to determine how much fruit the plant might set during the summer months. Birds love the fruit but people find them quite astringent.