The Q&A Archives: Tibouchina

Question: The plant I purchased at the nursery is called Tibouchina, I can't find what it looks like in any of my books. Where should it be planted, does it need sun or shade? I have been told that it is a house plant. Any help you can be would be appreiciated.

Answer: Tibouchina is also called Princess Flower. It's native to Brazil and grows outdoors in mild climates, but winters indoors in most of the country. The plant prefers cool roots and the tops in bright sunshine. Plant yours in a pot using an acid-based potting soil, and water regularly during the summer months. In the autumn bring the plant indoors and place in a brightly lit spot until the weather warms in the spring. Then take your plant outdoors again. To keep your plant bushy, pinch out the growing tips to promote additional flowering stems, and feed lightly after each bloom cycle.

The following website has additional information on Tibouchina and includes a picture. Enjoy your new plant!