The Q&A Archives: Rhubarb Rot

Question: I have planted rhubarb three different times now, and each time it will do great for the first six months and then it will just turn like jelly. I am totaly confused on what I am doing wrong.

Answer: It will be tough to have your rhubarb survive the weather and come back year after year in your gardening region because it is a cool weather crop that doesn't like the heat. It also need a winter cool period to rejuvenate itself. I fear that your winters are not cold or long enough to suit rhubarb. If you want to try, here's what to do: Find a fertile, well drained spot in your garden preferably in a spot that gets afternoon shade. Keep the plant well watered and fertilized with a few shovelfuls of compost yearly in spring. With a little luck, and cool weather, it should come back each year.