The Q&A Archives: Why Did Lavender Die?

Question: I recently purchased two English lavender plants, and planted them in separate pots. One I planted, pot and all, in a hole with some peat moss as mulch, and this one is doing great. The other one I removed from the pot and planted directly into the soil, and it looks dead. Could it be the that peat holds moisture and the other one died of thirst?

Answer: Planting the container in the ground would provide cooler temperatures for the roots and maintain a more even soil moisture. Lavender insists upon good drainage and doesn't like wet roots, but as new plants are getting established they generally need moist soil for roots to thrive. And then sometimes, a plant just isn't healthy enough to make it and lavender can be temperamental. Consider yourself a success for getting one to thrive!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"