The Q&A Archives: Hanging A Christmas Cactus Outside In Summer-zone 3 - Sun Or Shade

Question: I live in zone 3 - or northern zone 4 - not quite sure. I have a Christmas cactus that is 20 years old. I once hung this outside on the north side of the house during the summer when I lived in the Milwaukee area (slightly warmer winters). I would like to know if I can hang it outside in this zone, should it be in the sun or shade, what is the coldest night temperature it can tollerate? I have a corner I would like to hang it from that is partial shade, some sun, on the south side of the house. It now sets on a table in front of a south window, and is blooming right now (Memorial Day). Please advise. I don't want to kill it!

Answer: I would allow it to finish blooming before moving it to a new location. Then, a location out of direct sun (north side is ideal) would suit it, or possibly a spot with some dappled gentle morning sun. Nights should be reliably above 45 degrees, and the plant should be acclimated slowly if it is to receive that dappled sun. You must have a beautiful plant!