The Q&A Archives: Small Pathetic Looking Spinach

Question: Hi I have had problems growing spinach. I have tryed different places in the garden,and fertilizing,but it is still small and thin looking. My neighbor`s spinach is big,thick and healthy. He is not giving out any secrets.

Answer: Spinach does best in a very rich soil with an ample supply of nitrogen, so you might try adding compost, well aged manure, and/or a complete fertilizer. It also needs an evenly moist yet well drained soil with a ph between 6 and 7. You might want to run some basic soil tests and see if the pH or nitrogen levels are off. You might also want to experiment with different varieties of spinach. If you really want to jump the size, the spinach relative Swiss chard, looks like spinach on steroids.