The Q&A Archives: Wilting Watermelon

Question: We recently had a chilly rainy week, and now my watermelon seedlings are looking pretty sad. I've never grown watermelons before so I don't want to assume that it was the rain. I put a picture here: I was wondering if you could tell me if this would be cause by a week of rain, or might there be another problem. Also, what is the likelyhood of recovery?

Answer: Unfortunately I am unable to access your photo. Watermelons need warm soil and warm sunny weather to do their best. They must also be transplanted very carefully as their roots are a bit touchy about transplanting. They also need ample moisture but yet need a well drained soil or they will drown. I think you might wait for a few days of sunny weather and see if they perk up.