The Q&A Archives: Wilting Ivy

Question: I have an ivy plant in a pot indoors (don't know what kind but it had big non-verigated leaves). I recently repotted it and it gets indirect light and not too much water. I have noticed that after a year or so of hearty growing it looks tired. It gets a fuzzy dust-like substance on it's leaves and they dry up and turn yellowish. I have tried taking it outside and giving the leaves a bath but the same thing continues to occur. Is this a pest, disease or what?

Answer: It sounds as though your ivy might have developed powdery mildew, a fungal disease. This indicates it needs drier air, or better air circulation. Ivy is such a vigorously growing plant that you can cut away the infected leaves and stems (to prevent spread of the disease and also to open the plant up to better air circulation). Place your ivy in a bright, sunny window and water only when the top of the soil gets dry. Hope your ivy regains its health soon!