The Q&A Archives: Trailing Portulaca

Question: I purchased what was called trailing portulaca last year for some boxes around my water garden. This year I am having trouble finding the trailing variety and most garden shops tell me that there is just the one regular variety of Portulaca. The variety we had last year trailed beautifully and we would like that variety again. Are there two varieties? One trailing and one not? Or do both trail and do well in hanging baskets etc.

Answer: There are many varieties of Portulaca including several seed strains . The seed strains all bear semi-double to double flowers and all trail enough to make a worthwhile hanging basket. There are some vegetatively-propagated (cuttings) varieties withsingle flowers in bright colors. They are extremely well adapted to showing off in a hanging basket. Burpee does carry a very good seed strain. If you wish a vegetative variety, check with a good garden center.