The Q&A Archives: All Blue Garden

Question: I would like to plant a all blue garden and need to find a list of flowers that can grow in a shady area. I have treated the soil for some time with your products and I now feel that I am ready to establish a beautiful blue garden. I would like to know the best fertilizers to use along with the plants you recommend.

Answer: Some shade-tolerant blue flowering plants include Brunfelsia pauciflora, Myosotis (Forget-Me-Not), Campanula, Ajuga (Carpet Bugle), Virginia bluebells, Jacob's Ladder, Aquilegia caerulea and Pansy. If your garden site gets a few hours of sunshine each day, you can grow the 'Pacific Giant' or 'Dwarf Blue Heaven' delphiniums, caryopteris (blue-mist shrub), Russian sage (Perovskia) and salvia "Blue Hill" or "Blue Queen". Other blue flowered plants include amsonia, larkspur and blue flax.

You can mulch over the soil surface with compost to provide nutrients to your plants or use a liquid fertilizer diluted according to label directions and sprayed directly on the foliage to help your new plants thrive.