The Q&A Archives: Fungus or Mold on Vegetables

Question: I live in northwest Ohio, and have problems each year with a white fungus on my corn and the corn is stunted, and mold on my tomatoes.... Help!!

Answer: Instead of looking for a chemical remedy for your problems, let's consider what are some of the possible causes and see if you can correct the causes. Many garden problems can be eliminated with good sanitation. Remove weeds in and around the garden. Don't allow spent crops to sit in the garden, remove them immediately after harvest. Remove all garden debris at the end of the garden season. Don't crowd your crops so closely that good air circulation is not possible.

Treat your soil like the gold that it is! Add plenty of organic matter in the form of compost to your garden either in the fall or spring. Don't overplant; give areas of the garden a rest for part of the season. Rotate crops so that pests and diseases don't have the opportunity to build up. Maintaining healthy soil is paramount to growing great crops!

Mulch crops that have been plagued with fungal diseases. Mulches help keep the soil-borne fungus from splashing up onto the crops when it rains. Don't water from overhead for the same reason. Immediately remove any leaves, branches or plants that have become infected.

This is the safest and easiest way to keep your garden healthy and producing well.