The Q&A Archives: New Petals Falling Off Rugosa

Question: My rosa rugosa is one year old and had two flowers whose petals fell off in less than a week. Also, the leaves have tiny red spots on them? What can I do? It is planted in full sun and I've fed it in the Spring.

Answer: The blooms on roses will last longer under ideal weather conditions (cool, cloudy but dry, not windy) but may fall quickly if the weather does not cooperate. A lack of soil moisture or excessive heat can cause them to fall rather quickly. The tiny red spots may be rust, a fungal problem. You might try removing the infected leaves and spraying with a neem-based product according to the label instructions to try to control it. Also, make sure the rose is in a location with good air circulation and avoid overhead watering, especially in the evening.