The Q&A Archives: Cucumber Seedlings

Question: I had planted cucumber seedlings and the shriviled and died in 2 weeks.
I just replanted new seedlings. They are already shrivilling, within 3 days. Could this be due to grubs. I see worms but not grubs in the soil.
It was to rain the night I planted them but didn't rain much and it was another 2 day until I got back to them. I watered them yesterday, but they still seem to be wilting. What can I do? There is still some green, is all lost?

Answer: Based on your description I would suspect either transplant shock or a soil borne disease of some sort. Make sure your transplants have been sufficiently conditioned or acclimated to the outdoor conditions before planting them in the open garden. If that is not a possible reason, then you might try planting a disease resistant variety in a different location in the garden and see if that works.