The Q&A Archives: Green gunge on my lawn

Question: X-MMC-From:

X-MMC-To: <>
X-MMC-Subject: Gardener's Q and A

Sender :

Tracking Number : T200006010055Z46234

Pool : QA

Sent to : <>

Date : 6/1/00 4:21 PM

Question recieved from:

Frank Whaley

Dundee, Alabama DD53RQ

County: Angus

Country: Scotland

Mailing list (nothing means 'no'):
Green gunge on my lawn.

For a few seasons now my lawn has had a green algie type gunge and I have tried everything to get rid of it. It is at its worst when wet, it becomes very soggy and slippery. When it is dry it turns crispy and hard. I have taken measures to airiate the lawn by spiking and filling it with sharp sand, this has had little effect on it. I have also tried various anti fungus treatments and again have had no luck. What should I do now?

Yours sincerely Frank

Answer: It does sound like you have some sort of fungus at work in your yard. The only ones I can think of that even remotely resemble algae or slime is Pythium Blight.

I'm not sure exactly where you are in the world, your question just says "international". This disease is common in warm, humid weather. High soil pH makes it worse.

You should have your soil tested to make sure the pH isn't off balance. I notice that you have tried aerating the lawn with spiking, you might want to consider having a lawn service aerate with their specialized equipment.