The Q&A Archives: Black Landscape Fabric in Winter

Question: After the growing season, and I turn over my plants back into the ground, can I put black landscape fabric over the areas that I turned over, so that next season I won't have so many weeds? Will the fabric hurt the perennials if they are covered for about five months? I plan on rolling back the fabric once the weather gets warm again.

Answer: Rather than landscape fabric which might smother some of the more sensitive plants, you might simply use a layer of several inches of organic mulch such as shredded bark or chopped leaves. Placed around but not quite touching the crowns, this would inhibit those early weeds and also feed the soil as it breaks down. It can easily be brushed aside or, if fairly decomposed, dug into the soil when you plant in the spring.