The Q&A Archives: Holes In My Hostas

Question: Ther is one section of my yard that is pretty damp.There are quite a lot of hostas in this area. Every year they get brown around the edges and have holes in them. The holes happen to the other hostas in my yard also.I've sprayed them with bug spray. I even put a powder on them for bugs. Nothing seems to be working. Can you suggest something? I really don't think it's slugs either.

Answer: There are several things that can cause holes and discoloration on hosta. One is cold damage that occurs when the leaves are just coming up but the damage does not become apparent until the hostas are fully opened and actively growing. Another possibility is hail damage. Yet another common cause is slug damage but since the slugs work at nigt we rarely see them. We do see the tell tale glistening slime trails, though. These can be controlled by hand picking (at night with a flashlight), trapping them with beer-baited traps, or spreading diatomaceous earth around them.