The Q&A Archives: Black/browning Leaves On Gardenia Plant

Question: My gardenia has browning/black leaves. What could be causing this and what can I do to fix the problem?

Answer: Gardenia's can be temperamental and therefore require lots of TLC. They thrive with sun, warmth, regular watering, daily misting and frequent feeding. The browning, blackening leaves can indicate conditions that are too dry, or a salt build up in the soil. Prune to remove the affected plant parts, then mist or syringe the leaves every morning (be sure to keep water off the flowers). To correct salt build up, leach the soil by flooding it with water three times at 30 minute intervals. After this treatment, mulch over the surface of the soil with bark chips or peat moss. Once your plant begins to experience the conditions it craves it should thrive.