The Q&A Archives: Wilted Tomato Buds

Question: Hi! I've planted two different types of tomatos in my garden this year - Sweet 100's and Beefstake. The Sweet 100s seem to be doing fine, but the beefstake buds seem to dry up and wither before forming fruit. I read your one comment about too much nitrogen, is that what's happening here?

Answer: It's possible, especially if the Sweet 100's are performing well. If the buds actually form flowers and then fall off, another possibility is that they are not being pollinated. If there's a lack of insect activity, perhaps to use of pesticides in the area, you can try hand-pollinating the open blossoms. If the buds never quite open into flowers, I'd place my bet on excess nitrogen. Hope your tomatoes overcome this problem and produce lots of fruit!