The Q&A Archives: Pruning Rasberries

Question: I understand that Rasberries can yield more than one crop per year. How can I get a second crop of berries and what is the proper way to prune the bush? Thank you

Answer: There's always confusion over how to prune raspberries
because there are two types; summer-bearing and
fall-bearing, each with their own pruning requirements.
For two crops, one in summer and one in the fall, you would plant the so-called fall-bearing type.

Prune as follows: after harvest in the fall, cut back the fruiting portion of the cane,
and leave the rest. After harvesting the following summer, prune the rest of the fruiting cane
all the way down to the ground. The new canes of the season will then bear in the fall.

Some gardeners find that the fall-bearers are more productive if they are mowed off at the end of the fall harvest and only required to produce one crop a year, in the fall. For a longer season, you would then grow a summer variety along with the fall-bearer.