The Q&A Archives: Black Spots on Balloon Plant Leaves

Question: I recently planted fifteen dwarf purple balloon plants. Now, about 4 weeks after planting, I see black spots on the the leaves. The undersides of the leaves appear unaffected. Some leaves have holes with light brown margins. Can you tell me what the problem is and how to treat it?

Answer: It's difficult to make a precise diagnosis, but based on your description it sounds like the plants are suffering from a leaf spot disease caused by a fungus or bacteria. To help control leaf diseases, avoid wetting the leaves, and remove and destroy the worst of the affected foliage, including any leaves that may have fallen. Do not handle the plants when they are damp with rain or dew to avoid spreading the disease further.